A Surprising Men's Health Crisis
Friday, June 17th 2011
We know that June is special for dads, because we celebrate Father's Day on the third Sunday of the month. But did you know that June is also Men's Health Awareness Month? The reason behind this seems to be hardly a coincidence. The most important men in our lives, our dads, should be taking care of their overall wellness and health, this and every month.
Unfortunately, there is a men's health crisis due to a lack of awareness, poor health education, and culturally induced behavior patterns. The men's health crisis is seen most dramatically in mortality figures. In 1920, the life expectancy of males and females was roughly the same. Increasingly, the life expectancy for men has dropped in comparison with that of women. According to the Men's Health Network:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in men.
- Men are twice as likely to die from ischemic heart disease than women.
- In 2007, men were dying 5.2 years sooner than women.
Gum disease, heart disease, and overall health
Dentists have been telling us for years that the mouth can offer clues about overall health, and that problems in your mouth can affect the rest of your body. Brushing and flossing our teeth daily is important to avoid gum disease and the risks gum disease places on overall health.
Doctors estimate that 75% of Americans have some form of gum disease, which has been linked to serious health complications. Studies suggest that gingivitis may increase the risk of heart disease and stroke because of the high levels of bacteria found in infected areas of the mouth.
How you can help
When you need a gift for dad or other men in your life, instead of getting him the standard tie or Father's Day card, help him stay heart healthy:
- Take your dad to a health fair and out for a healthy lunch.
- Give him a Father's Day card with a doctor or dental appointment as a gift.
- Plan some fitness activities at lunch time, after work, or for Father's Day.
- Help him improve his gum health with a sonic electric toothbrush from Waterpik®
Brushing with an electric toothbrush can drastically diminish gum disease and related health complications. The Sensonic® Professional SR 1000 Electric Toothbrush is proven to be significantly more effective at removing plaque; it also naturally whitens teeth and has three brush head options to meet individual needs.
- Learn more about Men's Health Awareness Month.
- Check our coupons and promotions for specials on Waterpik® oral health products.
- Learn more about the Waterpik® Sensonic® Professional SR 1000 Toothbrush with our video.