Update Your Bathroom in No Time During National Home Improvement Month
Friday, April 29th 2011
May is National Home Improvement month and Water Pik® wants to help you celebrate with some simple ways to give your bathroom a quick facelift – without breaking the bank.
We've teamed up with Kelly Edwards, designer from HGTV's Design on a Dime, to compile some ideas and tips that can be used to update any bathroom in less than two days, for $200 or less. "Even the smallest changes can make a big difference," says Edwards.
Suggested do-it-yourself tips from Edwards and Water Pik:
Paint. A fresh coat of paint is one of the simplest and most affordable ways to make a big splash in any room.
- Light, bright colors can make the room feel more open and airy.
- Walls aren't the only things that can be painted. Cabinets, ceilings, and even floors can be painted, depending on the material.
Textiles. Look for bargains at closeout stores and check out online sales so you can stock up and splurge.
- A fresh set of fluffy new towels brings instant color.
- An updated shower curtain can add an air of drama, whimsy, romance or relaxation, depending on the style you choose.
- Don't forget a new set of rugs to warm up bare, wet feet and add new window curtains, too.
Shower and Tub. Turn these functional elements into spa-like amenities.
- Simply changing your shower head can turn a regular shower into a true sensual, spa-like experience. The Waterpik® EasySelect shower head, for example, has a spray selector located right on the handle, so you can change the spray settings from circular massage to full body coverage without having to reach through the water stream.
- Get attractive organizers for all your shower accessories. You can find options to fit just about any need and style.
- Replace the typical shower curtain rod with a curved rod. The curve not only gives you more room to shower, but adds a little bit of visual oomph to the room.
Hardware. Because most bathrooms won't have a lot of knobs or pulls to replace, you can afford to splurge a little bit on something special.
- Switch out traditional knobs for ones that say something about you. You can find knobs in just about any shape – from cowboy boots or kittens, to sea shells and flowers.
- Try a different knob material. Ceramic, wood, stone, brushed nickel and polished bronze all make stylish additions.
Lighting. Nothing creates mood better than good lighting.
- Turn a recessed light fixture into a hanging one – maybe even a refurbished chandelier.
- Install a dimmer switch so you can have just the right amount of overhead light you need.
- Adding light sconces on either side of the mirror will help eliminate shadows on your face.
Have a great time updating your bathroom and don't forget to take some time to enjoy it!