Tuesday, August 23th 2011
Do you want to get the benefits of using a neti pot, but aren't sure about how to use one? Thankfully, using a neti pot is as easy as brushing your teeth!
7 Simple Steps for Using a Neti Pot
The following instructions are adapted from the Waterpik® SinuSense™ Neti Pot Instruction Manual, but they can be applied to most typesof neti pots.
Before you begin using your neti pot:
- Have tissues ready. Wash hands.
- Make sure your neti pot is clean.
- Have your saline solution ready; do not use plain water (it is not compatible with nasal tissue and can cause significant irritation).
- Pour the saline solution or mix into your neti pot. (You can purchase our Soothing Saline Easy-Pour Packs mix at many local and online stores.)
- If using a saline mix, fill the neti pot with warm distilled or purified water as directed. Do not use hot or boiling water. Pick up the neti pot and shake briefly to mix the saline solution.
- Lean forward over the sink or use in the shower. Tilt your head to the side and place the nozzle into your nostril.
- Open mouth slightly and keep your head tilted to the side while pouring the solution slowly for a gentle, gravity-fed flow. Gravity pushes the solution up and over your nasal passage, which causes the solution to exit from the opposite side.
- Allow approximately 4 ounces or half of the solution to clean and moisturize.
- After completing the nasal rinse on one side, gently blow your nose and repeat on opposite side.
- Discard all remaining solution. Thoroughly clean the neti pot, especially the nozzle, with soap and water or in the dishwasher.
And that's it! It takes just a few minutes a day to keep your sinuses clean, clear, and healthy!
Waterpik® improves upon sinus washing with our innovative SinuSense™ sinus rinse system. Waterpik® SinuSense™ products are BPA- and preservative-free. Our easy-to-use Water Pulsator, Squeeze Bottle, Neti Bottle and Neti Pot help reduce the risk of allergy and sinus symptoms, with comfort enhancements and ergonomic improvements over traditional products.
To learn more about Waterpik® SinuSense™ products, go to www.waterpiksinusense.com.