Prevent Peri-Implant Disease and Dental Implant Infection
By Scott H.
October 22, 2013
Tufts University finds the Waterpik® Water Flosser more than 2X as effective for cleaning around dental implants
An important factor for long-term dental implant success is the health of the gums and bone surrounding your implant. Dental implants require just as much, if not more care than natural teeth when it comes to oral hygiene.
Did you know?
- Bacterial build-up in and around implants can lead to peri-implant disease and infection
- Peri-implant diseases are one of the risk factors for implant failure
- The Waterpik® Water Flosser is better than string floss for improving gum health around implants
Understanding Peri-Implant Disease and Infection
According to the American Academy of Periodontology, peri-implant diseases are inflammatory conditions affecting the soft (gum) and hard (bone) tissues around dental implants.
Similar to a natural tooth, bacteria can build up on the base of the implant, below the gum line. Over time, the bacteria irritate the gum tissue, causing inflammation. If not caught early, the result can be damage to the tissue and the bone structure below.
There are two types of peri-implant disease:
- Peri-implant mucositis (similar to gingivitis) affects the gum tissue only
- Peri-implantitis (similar to periodontitis) normally includes bone loss and often requires surgery to correct
Signs and Prevention of Peri-Implant Disease and Infection
Up to half of implant patients now have peri-implant disease. Signs of peri-implant disease are similar to gum disease. This includes bleeding gums, receding gums, and red or tender gums around the implant.
Risk factors that can contribute to peri-implant disease and infection include previous gum disease, smoking, and diabetes.
Daily cleaning of all the surfaces above and below the gumline is critical to preventing peri-implant disease.
Clinically Proven Defense Against Peri-Implant Disease and Infection
New clinical research from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine shows that the Waterpik® Water Flosser with the Plaque Seeker® Tip is more than 2X as effective as traditional string floss for improving gum health around implants.1
The Plaque Seeker® Tip is designed to clean around implants and provides the benefits of pulsating water. It has three thin tufts of bristles to access stubborn plaque around implants and other areas that are especially susceptible to plaque accumulation.
Protect your dental implant investment with the Waterpik® Water Flosser. It is the essential, clinically proven tool that you should not be without.
Watch the Plaque Seeker Tip clean teeth and dental implants
- Study conducted at Tufts University, School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts. Presented at the International Association of Dental Research, Seattle, WA, USA. March 23, 2013. Abstract #3761.